Why you should consider a Term Insurance plan?
1. Protect your children’s future
Life is unpredictable. Protect the ones important to you!
If you are the sole earner of your family, your family is financially dependent on you. Life insurance will provide cash benefit to your family in case something happens to you. This cash benefit known as death benefit can be an income replacement and help to meet your family’s many important financial needs such as your child’s education and well-being.
Let’s take example of Mr. Sharma. Mr. Sharma pays premium as low as Rs. 4852 per month and gets term insurance with 1 Cr. cover to protect his family against any eventuality. If anything happens to Mr. Sharma, this term insurance money can be his nominee’s to take care of their well-being in his absence.
2. Protect your Home
People are more concerned with paying their mortgage than buying a life insurance but how would these bills get paid if you are no longer around?
In case something happens to you, your family may be burdened with repayment of the home loan. Term insurance provides protection against such financial crisis. The payout received by your nominee can be used for paying any outstanding loans.
3. Protection of your family that is still budget friendly
Ensure lifetime protection for you and your family at a budget friendly premium.
Life insurance provides financial protection to your family at the most affordable rates. You can get a large amount of life cover (i.e. sum assured) at a relatively low premium rate.
4. Protection against critical illness
Detection of certain critical ailments like cancer or heart attack can be devastating for the family. Some term insurance plans can provide critical illness protection. This feature pays out on the diagnosis of certain critical ailments.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a term plan?
Term Life insurance is a pure and most cost-effective form of life insurance. This type of life insurance provides financial protection to the nominee in case policyholder dies during policy term. Term Insurance policies provides high life cover at lower premiums. For eg: Premium for 1 Cr Term Insurance cover could be as low as 4852 p.m. These fixed premiums can be paid at once or at regular intervals for the entire policy term or for a limited period of time. Premium amount varies basis the type of the premium payment method opted by the buyer.
2. Why do I need a term plan?
Your family depends on you: The term insurance money can be used to meet your family’s monthly expenses and important goals like your child’s education.
Your assets need protection: You may take loans for assets like a house or a car. However, if something happens to you, your family might be burdened with loan repayments. In such a situation, the term insurance payout which your family will receive can be utilized in paying off outstanding loans.
Lifestyle risks: Modern day lifestyle problems can lead to a host of ailments. Some term insurance plans don’t just protect your family after death but also during your lifetime by offering critical illness## protection. This feature pays out on the diagnosis of certain critical ailments like cancer or heart attack.
3. Who should buy a Term Insurance Policy?
Anyone with financial dependents should buy a term insurance policy. This includes young professionals with dependent parents, married couples, parents, businessmen and self-employed, SIP investors, and in some cases, even retirees.
Life Insurance premiums paid are deductible from taxable income under Section 80C and hence carry a double benefit for taxpayers – protection and tax-saving. The payment (maturity value) received under an insurance policy is also exempt subject to conditions under Section 10(10D) of the Income Tax Act, 1961^. Term insurance also has among the lowest premiums among the different types of insurance policies.
Hence, individuals who derive any of the three major benefits associated with term insurance should consider buying such policies. The three major benefits are – life protection, tax saving and affordable premiums.
- Parents: Parents are generally the sole source of financial support for their children. The needs of children extend from school fees and living expenses to hefty university fees, later on in life. The unexpected demise of a parent can jeopardize this future and deprive children of life’s opportunities. Parents must ensure that this scenario does not come to pass, by taking out a term insurance policy. This policy will pay out a lump sum and/or income to satisfy their children’s expenses, in the event of the death of the parent(s).
- Newly-married: Roses, chocolates and movie tickets are great, but here’s a truly long lasting gift for your spouse – term insurance. This gift will give your spouse more than momentary joy, it will secure their life’s future. Term insurance assures the spouse of financial support in case the insured person passes away and should be purchased as soon as possible by married couples.
- Working Women: The women of today are on an equal footing with men, whether it be managing their finances or providing for their family. Today, a family is as dependent on the woman’s income as it is on the man’s. This dependency brings with it the need to financially secure your family in case something happens to you. A term insurance plan assures that your parents/spouse/children are financially secured even in your absence. It ensures that your family does not have to compromise on their lifestyle and can continue with the goals you set for them. The term insurance cover amount also helps to take care of any outstanding liabilities like home loan, auto loan, education loan etc. Not only this, some term insurance plans come with the added benefit of a critical illness## cover that provides a payout in case you are diagnosed with a serious illness like breast or cervical cancer
- Young Professionals: Young professionals are just starting their careers. Many of them are not yet married and have no financial dependents. However this is likely to change in the future as they get married or support their parents/relatives. Such individuals should buy term insurance now rather than wait. This is because once a policy is purchased, the premiums stay the same throughout an individual’s life. On the other hand waiting to buy term insurance in the future can force customers to pay higher premiums because term insurance premiums rise with age.
- Taxpayers: Term insurance premiums paid are allowed as deduction from taxable income under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961^. The term insurance payouts on maturity are also exempt from tax subject to conditions under Section 10(10D). Hence taxpayers can use term insurance to significantly reduce their tax burden.
- Self Employed: As a self-employed person, you face many challenges. Unlike salaried individuals, you do not earn a fixed monthly income; you have an uneven source of income that depends on the ups and downs of the market. Plus, you may have also taken a business or personal loan from creditors, banks, or even your family and friends. Hence, buying a term insurance plan to secure your family becomes even more important for you. A term life insurance policy can ensure that your family remains financially secure even in your absence.
- Retirees: Retired persons need to have term insurance if they have dependent spouses or families. Buying term life insurance can also be a way of leaving an inheritance for their families. This is because, term insurance is paid out to nominees on the death of the insured person. The payment of term insurance is also tax free subject to conditions under Section 10(10D) of the Income Tax Act,1961^.
4. Why Choose ICICI Pru iProtect Smart?
- It fits in your tight budget: After paying your monthly rent, phone and light bills, a term insurance premium can be difficult. ICICI Pru iProtect Smart’s affordable premiums make sure it isn’t.
- It gives you longer cover: The best time to buy life insurance is now. Buying now will ensure that you get life cover at low premiums for the desired term. ICICI Pru iProtect Smart can cover you till the age of 85 and you also have option to get whole life insurance till age 99.
- It gives you option to cover 34 critical illnesses## ICICI Pru iProtect Smart pays accelerated critical illness (ACI) benefit on first occurrence of any of the covered 34 illnesses. No hospital bills are required.
- It provides you option to take Death Benefit as lump sum, income, increasing income or as a combination of lump sum and income: . A lump sum payment is the entire benefit amount paid to the nominee on the death of the insured person. An income payment is a series of annual or monthly payments, made to the nominee on the insured person’s death. If income payout option is chosen under ICICI Pru iProtect Smart, 10% of the benefit amount is payable every year for 10 years.. The latter option can save your family from the hassle of managing and investing a large sum of money. In Lump sum and Income option percentage of the Sum Assured to be paid out as lump sum is chosen at inception. The balance Sum Assured will be paid out in equal monthly installments in advance at the rate of 0.83333% per month over 10 years. In Increasing Income option the benefit amount is payable in monthly installments for 10 years starting with 10% of the benefit amount per annum in the first year. The income amount will increase by 10% per annum simple interest every year thereafter.
- It gives you accelerated pay out in case of terminal illness3: ICICI Pru iProtect Smart pays out your insurance cover even before death, if you are diagnosed with terminal illness.
- It provides you Protection against other claims: You can buy the insurance policy under the Married Woman’s Property Act++. This protects the money paid under the policy from other claims. It thus provides an additional layer of protection to your family.
ICICI HFC standard disclaimer
The products, services and benefits referred to herein are subject to the terms and conditions governing them as specified by third party from time to time. Nothing contained herein shall constitute or be deemed to constitute an advice, invitation or solicitation to sell/purchase any products/services of third party and is not intended to create any rights and obligations. ICICI HFC is merely acting as a as a corporate agent of ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Limited. Any investment in such third party / insurance company products/services shall constitute a contract between the investor and the third party / insurance company.
ICICI Pru standard disclaimer
2The given premium is applicable for a 18 year old healthy male life with monthly mode of payment and premiums paid regularly for the policy term of 18 years with income payout option with Life Cover of Rs 1 crore. Goods and Services tax and/or applicable cesses (if any) as per applicable rates will be charged extra.
3A Life Assured shall be regarded as Terminally Ill only if that Life Assured is diagnosed as suffering from a condition which, in the opinion of two independent medical practitioners’ specializing in treatment of such illness, is highly likely to lead to death within 6 months. The terminal illness must be diagnosed and confirmed by medical practitioners’ registered with the Indian Medical Association and approved by the Company. The Company reserves the right for independent assessment.
6Policy issuance is also subject to individual case eligibility criteria.
8Our Life insurance policies cover COVID-19 claims under life insurance claims, subject to applicable terms and conditions of policy contract and extant regulatory framework. COVID-19 is not included in Critical Illness benefit covered under IProtect Smart.
9Accidental Death benefit (ADB) is up to Rs. 2 Crores. ADB is available in Life Plus and All in One options. In case of death due to an accident Accidental Death Benefit will be paid out in addition to Death Benefit. Accidental Death Benefit will be equal to the policy term or (80-Age at entry), whichever is lower. # Subject to realization of payment and documents. Policy can be purchased in 3 steps: 1. Generating premium quote 2. Filling basic details and answering health related questions 3. Premium payment.
^Tax benefits of Rs. 54,600(Rs. 46,800 u/s 80C & Rs. 7,800 u/s 80D) is calculated at highest tax slab rate of 31.20%(including cess excluding surcharge)on life insurance premium u/s 80C of Rs. 1,50,000 and health premium u/s 80D of Rs. 25,000. Tax benefits subject to conditions under Section 80C, 80D,10(10D), 115BAC and other provisions of the Income Tax Act,1961. Good and Service tax and Cesses, if any will be charged extra as per prevailing rates. Tax laws are subject to amendments made thereto from time to time. Please consult your tax advisor for details, before acting on above.
^^As per internal data of users who have visited iciciprulife.com in the month of November, 2019 and checked their premium for term insurance product, iProtect Smart.
~This is computed basis individual claims settled over total individual claims for the financial year. For details, refer to the Annual Report for FY2018-19 on our Website.
-The Average Claims TAT for FY2019 for Death Claim (Individual) is 2.34 days. Non-Investigated Claims from Last Document received to Disbursal date.
##Critical Illness Benefit (CI Benefit) is optional and available under Life and Health and All in One options. This benefit is payable, on first occurrence of any of the 34 illnesses covered. Only doctor’s certificate confirming diagnosis needs to be submitted. The benefit is payable only on the fulfillment of the definition of the diagnosed critical illness. The CI Benefit, is accelerated and not an additional benefit which means the policy will continue with the Death Benefit reduced by the extent of the CI Benefit paid. The future premiums payable under the policy will reduce proportionately. If CI Benefit paid is equal to the Death Benefit, the policy will terminate on payment of the CI Benefit. To know more in detail about CI Benefit, terms & conditions governing it, kindly refer to sales brochure. CI Benefit term would be equal to policy term or 30 years or (75-Age at entry), whichever is lower.
ICICI Pru iProtect Smart UIN 105N151V06. W/II/0174/2019-20
© ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. Registered with Insurance Regulatory & Development Authority of India (IRDAI) as Life Insurance Company. Regn. No. 105. CIN: L66010MH2000PLC127837.
Reg. Off.: ICICI PruLife Towers, 1089 Appasaheb Marathe Marg, Prabhadevi, Mumbai 400025. Tel.: 40391600. Member of the Life Insurance Council. For more details on the risk factors, term and conditions please read the product brochure carefully before concluding the sale. Trade Logo displayed above belongs to ICICI Bank Ltd & Prudential IP services Ltd and used by ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Company Ltd under license.